Congratulations, you’re pregnant! Your skin will glow and you will feel amazing for the next 9 months.
Or maybe not.
The truth is, you may not find that your entire pregnancy is a walk in the park. My pregnancies certainly haven’t been.
It is taboo to mention the not-so-happy aspects of pregnancy, but I don’t see why that is. General symptoms of pregnancy should be common knowledge so that expectant mothers are not constantly bombarded with new information.
It is completely normal to feel down from time to time about the wearisome side of pregnancy. It doesn’t mean you are any less excited to become a mother.
To be pregnant is not easy. Many of us have to work, study or look after other children. Our loved ones will praise us when we give birth but there is praise due for the pregnancy in itself.
I’d like to share some aspects of pregnancy I experienced that nobody ever told me about!:
- “Morning” sickness can occur at any time of day during any part of your pregnancy – during my twin pregnancy, I threw up EVERY SINGLE DAY. No further questions.
- Fatigue – enjoy all the naps in the world before your baby arrives.
- Your emotions will be everywhere – you can easily cry, laugh and get angry during one episode of Eastenders.
- People will often touch your belly – I personally didn’t mind this but I did notice that many people did not ask permission first. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t be afraid to say.
- Hunger will hit you hard – every time I was hungry, I felt like I hadn’t eaten in days!
- Round ligament pain – I only experienced this in my second pregnancy, and I had never heard of it before. To put it simply, it is a short but painful sharp stabbing pain felt from the inside out. Not fun!
- Blood tests and urine samples – and lots of them!
You may be experiencing a few of the above, none of them or maybe all of them! But rest assured it will be worth it in the end.
As always, thank you for reading.