When preparing for a new baby, it can be overwhelming whilst deciding what items to buy.
The UK baby industry makes millions of pounds every year, partially because all mums (especially first time mums) want to be well prepared.
Whilst there are lots of things that your bundle of joy will need, there are also plenty of things you could give a miss!
When I had my twins, we bought so many clothing items and products that we never used. It was sad to see so much go waste; so this time around, I’ve made a very specific list to ensure every item is utilised.
So, what do you think you need but you don’t actually need?:
- Expensive baby bedding – there’s no need to spend a lot of money on bedding, considering that you will have to change the sheets often.
- Expensive cot – in my opinion, a pricier mattress will be more beneficial.
- Stuffed animals – I know they’re cute, but one or two will do.
- Cot mobile – it may actually distract your baby rather than put them to sleep.
- Scratch mittens – they fall off newborns. All day long, all the time. (Try to buy sleepsuits with integrated scratch mittens)
- Baby bath robe – your baby will not wear it.
- Baby detergent – they are usually more expensive, so just stick to your regular fragrance-free detergent.
- Swaddle blanket – you can swaddle your baby in a regular blanket.
You are of course within your power to purchase all the items in the world for your precious baby, but we all have a small incline to overdo it.
As always, thank you for reading.